Man of La Mancha
Los Altos Stage Company invites you to audition for Man of La Mancha, the first musical of our 2015-2016 Season, our 20th Anniversary Season!
Auditions for our production of Man of La Mancha, directed by Virginia Drake, will be held on Tuesday, June 16th from 6PM-9PM at the Los Altos Civic Center in the Bus Barn Theater (97 Hillview Ave., Los Altos, CA 94022.) All roles are open. Non-equity performers, please email your current headshot and resume to Associate Artistic Director Dan Wilson, at email@example.com. Those performers we are interested in seeing for an audition will be contacted regarding available time slots. No calls please. Callbacks will be held by invitation on Sunday, June 28th from 10AM-2PM (Time subject to change.)
Actors booked for an audition time slot will be asked to prepare one appropriate monologue no longer than 2 minutes in length and no more than 32 bars of a song well suited to the role/show for which you are auditioning. (An accompanist will be provided.)
- Don Quixote De La Mancha/Alonzo Quijana (Miguel De Cervantes): A tall, thin man in his forties; he is an actor, playwright – and a performer portraying the would-be knight, Don Quixote. He is a romantic-some say crazy-and has a vision of a far better and nobler world, where knights and chivalry rule the day.
- Sancho (The Manservant): Short and squat, Sancho has served his master, Quixote/Quijana/Cervantes for many years and is devoted to him, even with all his idiosyncrasies.
- Aldonza: A serving woman and a part-time prostitute at the inn, Aldonza is rough on the exterior, but has a gentle heart inside and yearns to believe what Don Quixote tells her. Quixote falls in loves with her and insists her name is Dulcinea and that she is a beautiful, gentlewoman.
- The Innkeeper (The Governor): A large and powerful presence; he is kind as the Innkeeper, but as the Governor is the leader of the inmate society in the prison.
- Dr. Carrasco (The Duke): As the character of the Duke he sidekick to the Governor; however, when he plays Dr. Carrasco, he is Antonia’s fiancé, a learned doctor. He thinks Don Quixote mad and insists that he come home and be treated for his malady. (He is also the Knight of the Mirrors)
- Antonia: Quijana’s niece and Dr. Carrasco’s fiancée.
- The Housekeeper: Quijana’s lady servant
- The Padre: A traditional man of the cloth
- Pedro: The head muleteer, Pedro is a mean and vicious man, leading an attack on Aldonza
- The Barber: a barber who arrives at the wrong place at the wrong time – with the wrong shaving basin (Also a Muleteer)
- Maria: The Innkeeper’s wife
- Fermina: A servant girl/Also a featured Dancer
- Captain of the Inquisition: A dark and menacing figure of authority (Also a Muleteer)
- Anselmo: A muleteer
- Jose: A muleteer
- The Guitarist: An accomplished musician/performer comfortable with being incorporated into the cast as an actor/character as needed
About the show:
Out of a dungeon of despair, the story of knight errant Don Quixote rises in triumphant transformation in the classic musical Man of La Mancha. Winner of five Tony Awards including Best Musical, it tells the story of the “mad” knight, Don Quixote, as a play within a play, performed by Cervantes and his fellow prisoners as he awaits a hearing with the Spanish Inquisition. Don Quixote is an aging nobleman who embarrasses his respectable family by his “mad” adventures. Backed by his faithful sidekick Sancho Panza, he duels windmills and defends his “perfect lady” Dulcinea. Dare to dream the impossible dream with this timeless, tough, and tuneful celebration of the human spirit.
“By the time Don Quixote launches into “The Impossible Dream,” audience members may feel the urge to march with him into hell for a heavenly cause.”- New York Times
The show will run from November 19-December 19, 2015. Performances on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays are at 8PM, and Sunday shows are 3PM matinees. Rehearsals will begin in early October, 2015 (schedule to be determined). All performers in the production will receive a stipend of $400 (flat) for the run of the show.
** Sorry, at this point we are unable to work with equity performers.
The Los Altos Civic Center is located at 97 Hillview Ave Los Altos CA 94022.