Audition – Into the Woods
Los Altos Youth Theatre is holding auditions for Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine.
Directed by Katelyn Miller. Music Directed by Kristin Walter
James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim take everyone’s favorite storybook characters and bring them together for a timeless, yet relevant, piece… and a rare modern classic. The Tony Award-winning book and score are both enchanting and touching.
The story follows a Baker and his wife, who wish to have a child; Cinderella, who wishes to attend the King’s Festival; and Jack, who wishes his cow would give milk. When the Baker and his wife learn that they cannot have a child because of a Witch’s curse, the two set off on a journey to break the curse. Everyone’s wish is granted, but the consequences of their actions return to haunt them later with disastrous results.
One of Sondheim’s most popular works, Into the Woods is a musically sophisticated show with the opportunity to feature actors adept at dark comedy.
Participant Age Range: 12 to 19 years old
Participant Fee: $450
Performances: Friday through Sunday July 21st – July 30th. 7pm Friday/ Saturday and 2pm Saturday/Sunday.
Auditions: May 20 from 10-4pm
Callbacks (by invitation only): May 21 from 10-2pm
Where: Grant Park, Los Altos (1575 Holt Ave, Los Altos, CA 94024)
Rehearsals: Weekly, Sunday through Thursday, from 5pm-8pm. Rehearsals begin Sunday, June 11th 2023. Please come prepared with a conflict calendar. No conflicts accepted during tech week and performances (7/16-7/30).
Audition Requirements: Please prepare a one-minute monologue and please prepare one of the following songs from the show (backing tracks will be provided): I Know Things Now, Giants in the Sky, Last Midnight, Steps of the Palace or Agony. Please also sign up for an audition slot on our sign up genius and please fill out our virtual audition form. If you are unable to make auditions, please submit a video to Education Director Kristin Walter (email@example.com) and please fill out our audition form no later than May 19th at 10am. No video callbacks will be accepted.
Audition Sign Up: Sign-up genius link
Online Audition Form: Please fill out Los Altos Youth Theatre’s virtual audition form here.
Please forward all questions to Education Director Kristin Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Roles: All roles are open and we encourage all humans of every shape, size, and color to audition:
- Narrator: An intellectual and pleasant story-teller who helps to orchestrate the show and illustrate lessons to the audience. Male. E4-G2
- Cinderella: A young, earnest maiden who is constantly mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters. Female. G5-G3
- Jack: The feckless Giant killer who is ‘almost a man.’ He is adventurous, naive, energetic, and bright-eyed. Male. G4-B2
- Jack’s Mother: Browbeating and weary, Jack’s protective mother who is independent, bold, and strong-willed. Female. Gb5- Bb3
- The Baker: A harried and insecure baker who is simple and loving, yet protective of his family. He wants his wife to be happy and is willing to do anything to ensure her happiness but refuses to let others fight his battles. Male. G4- Ab2
- The Baker’s Wife: Determined and bright woman who wishes to be a mother. She leads a simple, yet satisfying life and is very low-maintenance yet proactive in her endeavors. Female. G5-F3
- Cinderella’s Stepmother: The mean-spirited, demanding stepmother of Cinderella. Female. F#5-A3
- Florinda And Lucinda: Cinderella’s stepsisters who are black of heart. They follow in their mother’s footsteps of abusing Cinderella. Female. Ab5-C4
- Little Red Riding Hood: A spoiled young girl who is strong-willed, quick-witted, fearless, yet youthful and naive. Female. F5- Bb3
- The Witch: Sarcastic, ugly-then-gorgeous, obsessive protector of Rapunzel who is straightforward and aggressive. Female. G5-F3
- Cinderella’s Mother: Deceased with her soul guarding and aiding her daughter from a tree. Female. F4-E4
- Mysterious Man: A mischievous vagrant and nosy meddler. He is a good-natured protector and observer. Male. Eb4-G2
- Wolf: Hungry and insatiable hunter who takes advantage of the weak by misleading and captivating his prey. Male. Gb4-Bb2
- Rapunzel: A loopy-but-lovely maiden who is sheltered by the Witch and terribly lonely. She yearns to experience the world. Female. A5-B3
- Cinderella’s Prince: Vain and gorgeous, he is a disloyal lover who is currently searching for the next new, exciting thing. Male. F4- B2
- Rapunzel’s Prince: Just as vain and gorgeous as his Prince brother, he is always chasing the newest, most exciting endeavor. Male. E4-C#3
- Giant: The Giant’s wife is an angry and vengeful ‘monster.’ She is seeking restitution for her loss.
Mail: PO Box 151, Los Altos, CA 94023
Theater: 97 Hillview Ave., Los Altos