Audition – Sunday in the Park with George
Los Altos Stage Company is holding open auditions for Sunday in the Park with George Book by James Lapine. Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Directed by Alex Perez. Musical Direction by Brian Allan Hobbs
The days leading up to the completion of his most famous painting, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, Georges Seurat is struggling to make meaningful art and maintaining a relationship with his lover, Dot. Amid the scorn of the artistic community, Seurat’s artistic ability thrives while his love diminishes. A century later, Seurat’s descendant – named George and also an artist – finds himself burnt out and in search of what artistic path to follow, but he finds the answer to his future in the past.
An ensemble of strong singing actors performs this challenging and heartbreaking work about our need to connect to the past, present and future. Sunday in the Park with George features two coveted starring roles made famous by the Broadway performances of Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters. The show may be staged simply, as in its original workshop production, or with the grandeur of Seurat’s masterpiece.
Auditions: Saturday, February 4th from 11-2pm at Grant Park, 1575 Holt Ave, Los Altos
Callbacks: Sunday, February 5th from 11-2pm at Grant Park, 1575 Holt Ave, Los Altos
Rehearsals: Weekly, Sunday through Thursday, from 6pm-9pm (Sundays) and 7pm-10pm (Monday-Thursday). Rehearsals begin Sunday, April 16th 2023.
Performance dates: Wednesday through Sunday, June 2nd 2023 to June 25th 2023. Wednesday-Saturday performances start at 8pm. Sundays start at 3pm.
First Day of Rehearsal: Sunday, April 16, 2023
Designer Run-Through: Thursday, May 18, 2023
Q 2 Q: Sunday, May 28, 2023
Dress Rehearsal 1: Monday, May 29, 2023
Dress Rehearsal 2: Tuesday, May 30, 2023
Dress Rehearsal 3/Photos: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Preview: Thursday, June 1, 2023
Opening: Friday, June 2, 2023
Closing: Sunday, June 25, 2023
Actor Acknowledgement: All roles are volunteer and non-AEA. A $15 meal per diem will be provided for rehearsal and performance days to which the actor is called up to a total amount of $500.
Audition requirements: Please prepare 16-32 bars (okay if from the show, though not required). There will be a pianist. Please provide sheet music in your key. Please sign up for a slot on our sign-up genius and fill out our audition form. You will need both to audition. If you are unable to make auditions, video submissions are accepted before January 28th. Please fill out the audition form and send your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition Sign Up: Sign-up genius link
Online Audition Form: Please fill out Los Altos Stage Company’s virtual audition form here.
Please forward all questions to LASC’s production manager, Raissa Marchetti-Kozlov at email@example.com.
Roles: We highly encourage people of all ethnicities, races, and gender identities to audition.
This show was cast prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and we are only looking to replace the following roles:
- George: In Act 1: George Seurat, a rather cold artist obsessed with his work at the cost of his personal life. Constantly troubled and borderline obsessive. Act 2: Seurat’s burnt-out descendant and inventor-sculpture searching for his purpose. In the end, he is able to use his connection to the past to find the meaning in a blank canvas. Vocal range: Ab4 to G#2
- Dot / Marie: As Dot, George’s headstrong mistress and occasional model. As Marie, George’s elderly wheelchair-bound grandmother who helps him connect to his artistry through her grammar book notes. Vocal range: D5 to E3
- Soldier / Alex: A French military man, polite and gentlemanly. Close with his companion, though he yearns for a separation. Vocal range: F4 to A2
- Frieda / Betty: Jules and Yvonne’s cook and Franz’s wife. Vocal range: F5 to G3
- Louise: Jules and Yvonne’s spoiled little girl. Vocal range: Eb5 to G3
Mail: PO Box 151, Los Altos, CA 94023
Theater: 97 Hillview Ave., Los Altos