Education Director Position
Los Altos Stage Company is currently seeking a part-time Education Director to oversee LASC’s expanding education workshop programs and to serve as the primary artistic director of the Los Altos Youth Theatre.
Education Director Job Description
Reporting to the Executive Artistic Director, the Education Director develops and manages LASC education programs, including youth summer camps, and serves as the primary artistic director for the Los Altos Youth Theatre.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversee selection of LAYT productions and the development of all educational programs.
- Recruit and supervise Education and LAYT personnel, including part-time teaching artists and LAYT production staff.
- Direct at least one LAYT show per season.
- Work with Executive Artistic Director to develop and monitor annual budget for Education programs and LAYT productions.
- Manage the day-to-day administrative and operational needs of the education and LAYT programs, including contracts, enrollment, parent/participant communication, volunteer recruitment, supplies and materials, etc.
- Attend LAYT auditions, rehearsals and performances as needed.
- Assist with the Managing Director with Education and LAYT program marketing needs; writing description for postcards, programs, web site and other marketing materials.
- Recruit and oversee summer internships.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support LASC’s mission.
- Respond to requests for information, project proposals, etc.
- Help to develop and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships and cooperative relationships with other organizations.
- Represent LASC at public and private events and meetings, and act as advocate for LAYT and LASC Education goals.
Desirable Skills and Qualifications:
We are looking for someone with the administrative skill to manage complex projects and a deep commitment to theatre, education and LASC’s mission. Flexibility, vision, energy, a collaborative approach, and patience are other important qualities for someone in this position. Theater teaching artist and youth theater directing experience preferred.
Some useful specific skills and experience might include:
- Detail-oriented with excellent project management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with diverse personalities and youth of all ages.
- Ability to develop and assess theater education curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of developmental and education theory and the ways in which it interacts with theater.
- Demonstrated skills in budgeting.
Salary & Schedule:
The Education Director is a part-time position. Anticipated salary is $30,000/year. While the schedule is flexible, some weekend and evening hours will be necessary.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume (including at least three professional references) via email to Executive Artistic Director Gary Landis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and Education Director in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please. Position is open until filled with a late March, 2023 expectant start date.
LASC is committed to diversity in the workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in any employment decision based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, marital or veteran’s status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job. LASC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Mail: PO Box 151, Los Altos, CA 94023
Theater: 97 Hillview Ave., Los Altos