Audition – The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Directed by Gary Landis
The story concerns a mystery surrounding the death of a neighbor’s dog, Wellington, found speared by a sharp garden fork. The titular curious incident is a mystery that is investigated by young Christopher Boone, who describes himself as ‘a mathematician with some behavioral difficulties”, and his relationships with his parents and school mentor.
While searching for the murderer of the dog, he encounters resistance from many neighbours, but mostly from his father, Ed. Christopher argues to himself that many rules are made to be broken, so he continues to search for an answer; he compares himself to Sherlock Holmes. When he discovers that his father had both lied about his mother being dead for several years and that he had killed Wellington, Christopher is distraught and fears for his own life. For the first time, he travels alone to London to find and live with his mother. He finds the journey overstimulating and stressful, but succeeds and is welcomed by his mother. However, his ambitions lead him back to Swindon, where he wants to sit an A Level mathematics exam. Christopher achieves the best possible result and gradually reconciles with his father.
Performance dates: Wednesday through Sunday, September 8 – October 2, 2022. Wednesday-Saturday performances start at 8pm. Sundays start at 3pm.
Audition date: Saturday, April 2, 2022 from 10am-1pm.
Where: Grant Park, Room #1, 1575 Holt Ave, Los Altos
Callbacks: Saturday, April 9, 2022 from 10am-1pm.
Rehearsals: Weekly, Sunday through Thursday, from 6pm-9pm (Sundays) and 7pm-10pm (Monday-Thursday). Rehearsals begin Sunday, July 24, 2022.
Actor Acknowledgement: All roles are volunteer and non-AEA. A $15 meal per diem will be provided for all rehearsal and performance days to which the actor is called.
Audition requirements: Please prepare a two-minute monologue
Audition Sign Up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508054CACA928A3FA7-curious
Please forward all questions to Allie Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Roles: We highly encourage people of all ethnicities, races, and gender identities to audition.
- Christopher John Francis Boone: the 15-year-old extremely bright protagonist
- Mr. Ed Boone: Christopher’s father, a boiler engineer.
- Mrs. Judy Boone: Christopher’s mother.
- Siobhan: Christopher’s para-professional and mentor at school.
- Voice One, Mrs. Shears (Christopher’s neighbor), Mrs. Gascoyne (the head of Christopher’s school), Woman on Train, Shopkeeper.
- Voice Two, Roger Shears (Mrs Shear’s ex-husband), Mr. Wise (one of Christopher’s neighbors), Duty Sergeant, Man behind Counter, Drunk One.
- Voice Three, A Policeman, Mr. Thompson: one of Christopher’s neighbors, London Policeman, Man with Socks, Drunk Two
- Voice Four, Reverend Peters (a priest and teacher at Christopher’s school), Uncle Terry, Christopher’s uncle, Station Policeman, Station Guard
- Voice Five, No. 37, Lady in Street, Information, Punk Girl
- Voice Six, Mrs. Alexander (An old lady, one of Christopher’s neighbor), Posh Woman
Mail: PO Box 151, Los Altos, CA 94023
Theater: 97 Hillview Ave., Los Altos